Hope you all got home safely after the weekend. Thanks to you all for turning up. It was great having a championship round again up here in SUNNY Nelson. I have attached the full Excel version of the results from rounds 5 & 6.(see results page) There is more than enough data to keep even the geekiest amongst you amused for hours, however for those of you that really just turn up for the camaraderie and friendship, I have saved you the bother and listed the high and lowlights of the weekend:
1. The weather!!!!!
2. The scenery and weather!!
3. You guys.
4. Jason Baker clinching his 10th SI Expert title. Is this unprecedented? Surely. Well done Jace. However…….
5. Nick Oliver for winning his first Championship Round in Expert grade (on brand new, never been ridden sections). Better keep practicing Jason!!
6. The weather.
7. Brady Inwood for surviving the Saturday on his first ever Clubman (Junior) competition, let alone championship competition. Welcome to the Champs Brady.
8. Stef Downes for wining the wet T-shirt competition, 2 days in a row.
9. Bryan Penney for returning after an absence of 2 years to take out Presidents on Saturday’s tough course…….how did that feel Ross?
10. Callum Anderson for being the only person with a clean lap on the tough Saturday…..an acclaim normally reserved for Steve (clean lap.again) Oliver!!.
11. Daniel Penney (ex SI Junior Champ) returning after an absence of 2 years. Unlike Samson, he has not lost any talent by cutting his dreadlocks off!! (Pioneer – Daniel is now in Chch. Ball is now in your court.).
12. The weather
13. No Brendon (all right for oil?) Wadsworth!!
14. Paul Jackson for 7 cleans on section 10 over the weekend. This must be incredible because Steve Oiliver only managed 6!! That man obviously likes a rough ride!
15. Sam Reid for getting the better of Darryl on the Sunday. And I thought those long arms and legs were only an advantage for hanging on on the big stuff? Who knows what could have happend if he didn’t have the bike problem Chch. Bring on the Nationals!!
16. The weather.
17. Dave Atwool, the first ever social rider at a SI Champ round. Well done Dave. You forced the use of an unprecedented number of trafficators in an event. Confused the s**t out of the Red and Yellow Dunedin boys. They don’t need trafficators, they only use red and whites in their club trials!!
18. And finally, Bob Coke presenting the prizes. Fantastic to see you out there again Bob. Hope to see you in Alex.
1. The most obvious LOWLIGHT must go to Steve Oliver who felt he had to imitate Roy Orbiston on Saturday night. Hope the eyes get better soon Steve.
2. Bryan (Bandito) Penney for not riding Intermediate!!!!. Nobody can hang on quite like you Bryan!! No pressure Bryan but just get up there. Have you never heard of Staus Quo!!..
3. Only one rider down from the North Island. Thanks for flying the flag Steve. Although according to Paul Jackson this is a highlight of the weekend.
4. The fact there is no Master’s class to put Steve (Orbiston) Oliver into!!
5. The fact that the Junior Title had to be decided on a ruling after Callum and Blake had tied over the series each with three 1sts and three 2nds over the six rounds. Never mind Blake, home turf for the Nationals.
6. Me for ending up a miserable last in my own event. Not only last but finished off the weekend with 3 fives… in front of friends and family!! I’m sure next time will be easier.
Finally, a big thanks to our Championship sponsors, Trailsport NZ, Nelson & Marlborough Trials Centre and Kapiti Motor Cycles. Thanks guys, it all helps.
See you all in Alex.